Saturday, January 3, 2009

One Hundred Good Wishes Quilt


Back in June I started collecting fabric squared from friends and family to complete Molly & Lindy a quilt. It is called a 100 Good Wishes Quilt. Below I have explained it in more detail. I am going to continue collecting fabric until the end of January. I'm anxious to get them started. I want to invite anyone who is reading to join in. If you have questions or need our mailing address just click on the "email me" at on the side bar.


these are samples of a OHGWQ


One Hundred Good Wishes
For Molly & Lindy

Dear Friends & Family.
I have started a new project and need your help! I want to make Molly & Lindy each a “100 Good Wishes Quilt”. The idea came from a tradition they have in China. And I am always trying to find ways to bring Chinese customs into our family. So I’ll explain….

ABOUT THE QUILT--To welcome and celebrate a new baby, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. It is a custom to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth and a wish for the child. The quilt contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all of the people who contribute. Along with the fabric, a matching swatch is attached to a card with a blessing, wish, poem, or thought for the child. (don’t forget to sign you name) These are collected into a memory book. The fabric pieces are then stitched together to form a quilt that the child can pass down from generation to generation.

We would be honored if you would take the time to send TWO 8 x 8 inch squares of 100% cotton fabric of your choice. Along with them, attach a small swatch of the fabric to a card with your thoughts, prayer, blessing or wish. One for Molly and one for Lindy. I will need two squares for I am making each one their own quilt. The squares can be different or the same, doesn't matter. But they will each need a wish for their own memory book.
My mom said that the idea sounds much like what Americans call a Friendship quilt. So, my goal is to collect at least 100 “wishes” for each daughter.

For those who want to contribute but don’t have fabric on hand, may I make a few suggestions…. Maybe you have a blouse your not wearing or hankie. Perhaps a bandanna or pillowcase. Some Wal-Mart stores have a fabric section. You can find small cuts of fabric rolled up, ready to buy.

I hope you can help us with our project. If you have any questions, please call or email. Thank you in advance.

David, Sherry,
Molly & Lindy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can I still get in on the HGWQ? I would love to to be a part of the quilt!